Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Hollywood: A Glamorous Love Story

My car halts at a stop sign on the corner of Sunset and Highland, and a man on the corner welcomes this action by banging twice on the hood, opening the passenger door, and entering my vehicle.  With his body dangling halfway in and out of my car, and both pedestrians and drivers ignoring this unusual display, I frantically wave my left arm in the man's face and, panic- struck, press on the gas pedal.  The passenger door swings back, and the mumbling man flails his legs in the air.  I close my eyes- (I could drive this route in my sleep, and have, mind you)- and thrust my arm forcefully into this... creature.  The man then falls completely out of my car, and I proceed down Sunset Boulevard, uninjured and unharmed.

If you haven't ascertained by now, Los Angeles is a cultural melting pot of upstanding, agreeable, and selfless citizens, all vying for the American dream.  Energized by the easily attainable goal of fame, people come together, hand in hand, willing to do anything within moral reason to achieve success and prosperity.  Work reaps rewards; gifting suits and lavish parties occupy each night.  And after all is said and done, and the Kettle one stops flowing, the naturally beautiful people recluse to their perspective mansions. 

My sarcasm radiates out of your computer screen. 

Those folks are outliers, the elite one percent who, endowed with luck and by providing various favors, (largely sexual,) live fruitfully in the lap of luxury.  Naturally, Los Angeles welcomes a wealth of delusional dreamers, (who admonish one another to boost their own egos,) manipulators, and narcissists, all of whom occupy one tiny apartment room in Studio City.  I have fallen victim to such scammers, forking over extravagant amounts of cash in compensation for instantaneous success.  And, as I mourn the empty wallet on my desk, and view the crappy headshots I exchanged for $500, I recall the extremes I have gone to achieve success in this unpredictable industry.

This blog serves as a platform for me to share my experiences as an actor, intern, and person in Hollywood.  Learn from my failures, share in my successes, and laugh at my life (because it could very well be a hidden camera show... still looking for those cameras).  I send you warnings not to frighten you, but to enlighten you.  Rise above: Be passionate, persevere, and throw yourself full throttle into what you love-- because life is short, and haters gonna hate.  

No comments:

Post a Comment